Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3 beta
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:08:30 -0400
Basil Chupin pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Ken Schneider wrote:
Basil Chupin pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Joe Morris wrote:
On 03/22/2008 12:03 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
Joe Morris wrote:
On 03/22/2008 11:23 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
Both versions come from opensuse.org/update/10.3 repository so why hasn't YaST2 upgraded java to the newer 1.6 version (as indicated in the result of THE TEST)?
Security updates SELDOM have upgraded versions (unless it was absolutely necessary), it only updates to the same version with security patches applied, for maximum compatibility.

And I am surprised that you can come up with crap like your current response.

Where do "security updates" come into all this?!
opensuse.org/update/10.3 repository. That is the update repository for security updates.

Oh hell, now I can really see openSUSE heading towards a big crash :-( . opensuse.org/update/10.x repository is only "for security updates". Where do the 'non-security' upgrades/updates come from?!

Third party repos which are now very easy to setup.

And don't say that as an old user of openSUSE I should know because I really don't give a rat's arse - all I want to have is my OS being upgraded/updated with the latest files without me having to go through this crap of figuring out what comes from where.

AND as I said, I am converting a friend from XP to SuSE so I don't want to expound to him that files from X are security upgrades while files from Y are non-security upgrades - to which he will only reply, "I'll just stick with XP where I automatically get all the upgrades required."

So... when Nero comes out with an upgrade Microsoft supplies the upgrade? Wow, when did this start happening?

openSUSE is no different then MS, they supply security updates to the original packages that they supplied, nothing more.

Thanks, Ken, for the above - for more than just the politeness of having responded to me.

Now here's the rub in what you stated above - and what I am trying to suggest may be leading openSUSE into a 'quagmire'.

When you install Windows you get the OS and then the drivers for some of the hardware on your system. You're correct about this.

When you install openSUSE you not only get the OS with the correct drivers but you also get "lots of" applications (eg, GIMP, OpenOffice, Mozilla, et alia) - including some which are "on the restricted list" for which there are repositories mentioned in YaST2 to make them work as they are meant to work.

zypper is one application which comes with openSUSE.

If you install/use openSUSE's YaST2 - it is an integral part of openSUSE - and see that there are Community Repositories and select the ones you know/think will upgrade the apps. you selected, either during the installation process or later, you will find that the "little green giant" on the right-hand bottom of the "Launch Bar" (what IS it called?!) will, at some stage, come up with the message that new updates are available (on special occasions it even turns into a red triangle!).

If one is not a complete ding-dong, one would click on this "little green giant" which would then come up with a menu which - wait for it! - will show 2 TABS: "PATCHES" and "UPGRADES".

From where I sit, PATCHES are SECURITY updates, while UPGRADES are upgrades of installed APPLICATIONS like amarok, OpenOffice, Mozilla, etc.

So, the way I, and other new users of openSUSE see it, is that if I install whatever application which comes on the openSUSE DVD and which is handled by a Repository mentioned in YaST2 then I consider that this application will be upgraded by zypper.

On the other hand, if I install *ON MY OWN VOLITION* a copy of Firefox, directly available from the mozilla.org site, and ignore and not use the copy of Firefox which comes with openSUSE, and installed, if selected, when installing openSUSE, and which *openSUSE upgrades* from time to time, then I agree that I am on my own, left to my own devices, and cannot whinge about openSUSE not doing anything to keep it up-to-date.

On this system (I am using right now) I have both zypper and smart being used. When I booted the system today both went away and started the job of 'looking' for upgrades/updates.

While smart took some 30 seconds, or less, to finish its job, zypper went on and on and on and on and on but it finally came up with the answer and showed, "New software updates available". smart on the other hand came up with the statement, "There are new upgrades available."

I now always start zypper first, and the menu came up showing that there were no PATCHES but there were UPGRADES to be done. The UPGRADES were to gstream-010 (plus a related file) to bring it to version 0.10.18-0.pm.1. Now, there was no mention of any SECURITY fix - it was simply an UPGRADE.

So, zypper handles both security updates and application upgrades.

As I also now do, I then "told" smart update to check for new upgrades and, as expected, it came back stating that there were no new upgrades - meaning that zypper had already upgraded the file which smart stated needed upgrading.

I'll stop at this point :-)

Ciao.

Keep in mind that, by default, _no_ third party repos are selected one needs to manually select them for upgrades to appear in zypper. And there again zypper, by default, will not check for nor show upgrades to packages, you need to manually select that option. I think it would be good if a popup would appear whenever someone selects third party repos, whether through zypper or some other means, that would warn users about the possible corruption of there system if they do so.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998