Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3 beta
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:47:06 +1100
Bob S wrote:
On Friday 21 March 2008 11:23:57 pm Basil Chupin wrote:
Oddball wrote:
Greg Freemyer schreef:
I'm running 64-bit. Flash works. Don't know about Java. What's a
good site to test that on?

Greg
http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
Just following on from the python-gtk fiasco mentioned in another
thread, I went to the above site and did THE TEST :-) , and, just as
with the business of python-gtk, I am now totally c-o-n-f-u-s-e-d, to
put it politely :-( .

Doing the test resulted in me being given the message, "Oooops, you are
using the wrong version of java" - or words to this effect. So I go
looking for the "right" version of java.

In YaST2 Software Management I can see that I have java-1_5_0-sun
installed but just a little way down there is java-1_6_0-sun staring me
in the face.

Both versions come from opensuse.org/update/10.3 repository so why
hasn't YaST2 upgraded java to the newer 1.6 version (as indicated in
the result of THE TEST)?

You need Java-1_7. It is called iced tea or something if you are running 64bit. Check the archives about a month ago.
AAAARGH!!

No I don't - I don't need "Java-1_7"! (And I am not using 64-bit system.)

I just want anything which will keep my sanity intact and my blood pressure within normal limits! :-)

Ciao.

--
If you really want to know, you won't ask me.