Re: [opensuse] [Fwd: What is the problem - and with whom?] - SOLVED
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:22:09 +1100
Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:20:27 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

The only "error" I made was to have selected the "openSUSE BuildService - GNOME: Community" as a Community Repository in YaST2 - which is what caused the problem

When selecting repositories it's *your* responsibility to make sure
these don't interfere, i.e. you have to know what you're doing. You
could, for example, also choose the FACTORY repo and would thus most
probably hose your 10.3 installation.

Maybe the OBS makes it a bit too easy to add potentially "dangerous"
repos, but then again it's following the old *nix rule to give the user
enough rope to hang himself.

I can understand the attractiveness of having a BuildService for SuSE users to access but, at the same time, isn't it also an open door for unscrupulous people to do deliberate damage to openSUSE?

Maybe they didn't check the compatibility with smart, but these people
are neither unscrupulous nor deliberately damaging openSUSE! If you
don't really know what you're doing, you should simply stick to the
official repositories.

Define "official".

They are all listed in the YaST2 File Management section. Now if that is not 'official' then I don't know what is.

Ciao.

--
If you really want to know, you won't ask me.