Re: [opensuse] RE: Procedure for setting up a CUPS/Samba Server to Enable print services from MS Windows.
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 23:52:08 -0400
Default Account pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
I have tried to create a Samba Server to provide print services from a MS Windows XP PC to a CUPS server running opensuse 10.3 without success.

I have a fully running network and run a CUPS print server for all printers on the Network, however despite creating a Samba Server on the Same CUPS Server I cannot print from the Windows XP PC. ALL the other Networked opensuse PC's can print to all the printers without a problem, but I am stumped with printing from MS Windows XP Pro PC.

I run a KDE desktop on all PC's.

I was wondering if someone could write a 'how to' procedure in the support database.

I am sure I am not the first person to ask for help with this and I am sure you are tired of replying to each one - hence the request for writing a SDB Procedure.

I myself have written 4 procedures in the SDB any over 2,000 user have read some the procedures I have created and I would be grateful if someone could return the favour with my problem.

Happy Day to all ;-)

Scott

Set the printer up as an lpd printer in XP, you will have to add the unix compat software in XP first. It then works like a champ.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998