Re: [opensuse] Updating KDE
  • From: Joe Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:05:51 -0700
farid wrote:
*Will someone please advise how to upgrade KDE to KDE4 on SuSE 10.3.
Any help given will be highly appreciated.

It would be no help if I didn't mention that you really don't want to replace kde3 with kde4 at this early stage. You'll want to have kde3 installed until kde4 is mature enough to replace it.

The release of kde4 was somewhat overhyped, in the sense that kde4, while full of promise, is still not quite of production quality, and has a number of missing pieces yet.

I am a kde user, and keep a fairly up to date copy of kde4 on my system, which I use once or twice a week, to marvel at its progress. By the time Suse 11 comes out, the kde environment will likely be pretty solid.

In my case, I added the kde4-stable repo and update it periodically, while keeping my kde3 install for every day production use.

Joe