Re: [opensuse] Re: Kooka
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:19:22 +0200
On Saturday 22 March 2008 18:49:44 Charles philip Chan wrote:
Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

writes:
I want to scan documents and photographs; I have fired up Kooka and
read its documentation thoroughly. I find menu choices and icon
buttons for doing many things with a scanned image, but so far have
not discovered any way to induce the scanner to actually scan
anything.

Like all scanning applications:

1. First make sure your scanner is setup properly. You should see your
device listed if you run:

,----

| scanimage -L

`----

sane-find-scanner identifies my scanner correctly [probably! =;-)8 ] as
Epson Perfection 640U.

scanimage -L says "No scanners were found", so I understand that I have a
defective scanner.

from a console.

2. set your options ("scan mode", "resolution", etc).

3. preview the scan by pressing "Preview Scan" and select the region to
be scanned.

4. Do the final scan by pressing "Final Scan".

I'm assuming that the above options and buttons would appear in Kooka
somewhere if the scanner were working properly, which it seems not to be
doing.

However, for advance scanning I don't recommend kooka- one should use
xsane. This is because kooka lacks a lot of advanced features such as
picking white, grey and black points. batch scanning (if you have a doc
feeder), etc.

Although I don't think I have any special needs for anything advanced, I
will check out xsane when I get a working scanner.

Thanks for answering my question...

Charles
--
Stan Goodman