Re: [opensuse] Kooka

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stan Goodman" <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "openSuSE Forum" <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:21 PM
Subject: [opensuse] Kooka

I want to scan documents and photographs; I have fired up Kooka and read
its documentation thoroughly. I find menu choices and icon buttons for
doing many things with a scanned image, but so far have not discovered
any way to induce the scanner to actually scan anything.

This has to be a failing of mine, because it is not possible that anybody
would write documentation for a scanning application without including
a sentence in the spirit: "To make a scan, do <thus and so>".

For all I know now, this application is not what I need at all for
actually scanning material, but I see nothing in the documentation to
tell me what else I need.

If someone will point out to me what I have overlooked this point, I will
be very grateful.

I don't use kde and never heard of kooka before, but the very first page of
http://kooka.kde.org/doc/manual.php

Says:
A) You need sane first, and thus a sane-supported scanner, and provides a link
to the sane site.
B) How to perform a scan.

----quote----
Chapter 1. Introduction

Kooka is a KDE application that enables easy scanning using SANE libraries.
Therefore,SANE the package must be installed to use Kooka. Clear and concise
use was the focus of its development.

Character recognition is also provided by the built-in text recognition program
gocr. Install gocr to use this functionality. After character recognition is
complete, the recognized material can be opened in the text editor Kate with
just one click, where you can edit the contents.

Chapter 2. Application Instructions

The web site http://www.mostang.com/sane has information about supported
scanners. Refer to it before purchasing a scanner, if possible.

Start Kooka from a console by simply entering kooka. Create a link on the KDE
desktop, which uses a scanner icon, if desired.

The main window in Kooka consists of three frames. At the top, see both icon
and a menu panels. Use the mouse to enlarge or reduce the windows as needed.

The navigation window consists of two tabs, which allow you to switch between
the Preview and the integrated file browser called the Gallery. The working
directory is displayed in the lower part of the window along with the directory
where the scan will be saved.

Make your scanner-dependent settings, which are dependent on the scanner you
have connected, in the lower left window. Usually, these are settings for
resolution, brightness and contrast, scanning mode (e.g., color, gray, or
binary), and for gamma values.

Configure your settings here first. Afterwards, initiate the preview scan with
Preview. If the Preview tab in the upper window is selected, see the results
there.
Select the various formats in the preview image itself to define the final
dimensions. The User setting is recommended for this, so you select the area to
scan in the preview display with the mouse.

After this is done, click Scan to scan the selection made in the preview. After
scanning, you will be asked in which format to save the image whether to make
this your standard format (without being prompted to confirm your selection in
the future).
---quote---

I would have assumed that when kooka was installed, yast would have
automatically installed sane also as a dependancy. So all you should have to do
now is ensure your scanner is one sane supports.

You might need to look at this too:
http://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Scanner

--
Brian K. White brian@xxxxxxxxx http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR