Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3 beta
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:57:32 -0400
Rajko M. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Saturday 22 March 2008 07:46:04 am Ken Schneider wrote:

So... when Nero comes out with an upgrade Microsoft supplies the
upgrade? Wow, when did this start happening?

openSUSE is no different then MS, they supply security updates to the
original packages that they supplied, nothing more.

The difference is that MS offer of application leaves many wishes unsatisfied. For instance Nero you have to buy, and then after installation go to Nero web site for updates. Some are not important (like security ;-) ), but some you have to pick up, like drivers, otherwise you spit a money for nothing.
It is interesting that many people react on Linux like they do a favor to guy that is promoting Linux and wants to help them out. It is the same as one would have chance to get Cadillac for free and he/she accepts offer under one condition, to be careful and watch not to scratch his Yugo. Otherwise ....

I wasn't trying to chastise someone for trying to convert someone to linux, just point the flaw in his logic. MS only provides security updates just as openSUSE only offers security updates, nothing more. I actually applaud people that promote linux to get others to switch.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998