Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3 beta
  • From: Varghese Mathew <varghese85.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:55:48 +0530
Basil Chupin wrote:
Anders Johansson wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
In YaST2 Software Management I can see that I have java-1_5_0-sun
installed but just a little way down there is java-1_6_0-sun staring me
in the face.

Both versions come from opensuse.org/update/10.3 repository so why
hasn't YaST2 upgraded java to the newer 1.6 version (as indicated in
the result of THE TEST)?

Java 1.5 and 1.6 are two separate packages. One is not an update for the
other. The reason is that some applications require one or the other, so
you may want to have both installed at the same time

Thanks for this, Anders.

But, you know, as far as I am concerned, this sort of approach to an OS is leading towards a disaster.

As a new user of the OS, how am I supposed to know which package I am to install? Everywhere else I see that "v1.2" replaces "v1.1" when zypper goes and upgrades packages - except in the case of java.

I guess in the long run either the whole thing gets sorted out or the whole OS comes to a grinding halt. Maybe the new Community Manager has some ideas.

Ciao.

That is SUN's doing right ?
I understood java to be not so portable as they claim.
Even Internet explorer has 2-3 versions of java installed concurrently if I remember right

Varghese