Re: [opensuse] [Fwd: What is the problem - and with whom?] - SOLVED
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:20:27 +1100
Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:21:17PM +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:14:32PM +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
[...]
The upgrade of python-gtk came from OpenSUSE Build Service dated 18 March 2008 timed 02:q6:53 EST.

Ciao.
Sorry about the typo. The time should read, "02:16:53 EST"
File a bug against this repository?
File a bug against a repository called 'openSUSE Build Service'? Isn't this a free-for-all build service under the control of Novell? So what am I supposed to file bug about, and aginst whom? :-)

IMHO you should mail the administrators of the project in the
build servic. See below how to find out which project the package
belongs to.

I guess its one of the GNOME ones, right?
I have no idea, sorry Marcus. I just boot the OS and let zyppo and smart do their designed jobs.

'rpm -qi python-gtk' should tell you which project the package came
from in the last line.

But your question has a rather unpleasant connotation: "I guess its one of the GNOME ones, right?"

I think you're reading too much into Marcus' reply.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Having something connected with Gnome being able to stuff-up a system which doesn't have Gnome installed is not something to be ignored.

The only "error" I made was to have selected the "openSUSE BuildService - GNOME: Community" as a Community Repository in YaST2 - which is what caused the problem because this repository upgraded the openSUSE python-gtk v2.10.6-2.5@i586 to v2.12.0-22.1.i586.rpm dated 17 March. (I re-installed the original python-gtk from openSUSE and everything is now back to normal (ie, smart is working)).

smart does not want to upgrade python-gtk to anything - it is quite happy with the version which was originally installed from openSUSE site. However, add to the Community Repositories the one GNOME one I mention above and things go haywire.

I can understand the attractiveness of having a BuildService for SuSE users to access but, at the same time, isn't it also an open door for unscrupulous people to do deliberate damage to openSUSE?

Ciao.

--
If you really want to know, you won't ask me.