Re: [opensuse] GSOC 2008
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:08:58 +0100
debayan wrote:
That was a shocker to me.... by the way, i was going to print game
server info by reading the packets they send back.

Info in the packets?

Then I guess we're talking about something other than ping.

I guess you're talking about using some game server specific tool that
connects and requests information. I would have no idea if that tool is
multi threaded or not (especially since you haven't said which tool it is)

But regular ping wouldn't give you any information you could use, other
than that there is a network card with that IP address responding to pings

The packets contain
the info. I am sure there are apps written for achieving this, because
it is a simple thing as i said in my first mail. I just think if this
whole thing were a part of the openSUSE distro many windows gamers would
spend more time on Linux.

Honestly, I doubt it. Why would they want to run a whole OS just to get
popups to tell them which machines they can connect to using their
windows machines. Especially if it would involve either rebooting all
the time, or running a complete separate machine

Most highend games already run their servers on linux, and most gamers
swear by them. But that hasn't increased the linux desktop use among gamers

Anders