Re: [opensuse] GSOC 2008
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:54:41 +0100
debayan wrote:
Ok please answer this, say i ping the broadcast address 10.0.255.255 (on
my lan) on the terminal, how does the OS execute the ping? Does it fork
off new processes or does it use threads? I am sure it is not sequential
because it is pretty fast.

Of course it's sequential. The program "ping" is started, it then
repeatedly sends an ICMP echo request and then waits for a response (or
a timeout). It is an extremely trivial program that doesn't involve
processes or threads or anything

Now if it is not sequential, i dont really need to use threads in my
program. I just have to execute a broadcast ping. The switch takes care
of the rest i think.

Broadcast pings may be ignored, don't forget that. Many places do ignore
them for security reasons

Besides which, you said you were also going to handle resources on those
servers, not just see which machines on the LAN were alive, right? for
the latter, you already have many other tools already written

Anders