Re: [opensuse] Monitoring my Linux logs
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:08:41 -0400
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:37:32 +0200
"Dirk Moolman" <DirkM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are in the process of building our own scripts to monitor all our
systems (operating systems, databases, network, etc.)

My question is around Linux. We want to monitor the main linux logs. I
would appreciate some tips & ideas on this.

Our first goal is to go through the Linux log (/var/log/messages), and
grep out problem areas / errors, but this can be tricky, eg. what do you
grep for ?

What is the industry standard - how do you guys & girls do this ?

Another tools is Splunk. Splunk is "the IT Search Engine".
http://www.splunk.com/

As previously mentioned nagios is also a viable tool.
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846
PGP Key fingerprint: 3D1B 8377 A3C0 A5F2 ECBB CA3B 4607 4319 537C 5846