Re: [opensuse] Sony USB Music Player S/W
  • From: Brett Lyon <brett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:57:21 -0400
On Tuesday 18 March 2008 22:29:17 Bikram Chatterjee wrote:
You could begin by specifying a subject in your post. I'm sure many
people ignore subjectless posts; I > saw it because of timing, it was
right at the top...

Sorry about missing the subject. I have added one now. But this might
create a new thread.

I would say its likely that such a device uses some form of cryptography
in the "special software", but you could try by installing the software
on Windows, copying a file to the device, then copy it back via Linux,
and see what you can make of it.

Do you mean to do some sort of reverse engineering on the software and
create one myself for Linux?

Windows hating aside, the better option would probably be to return the
device - it doesn't come with drivers for your OS, meaning you cannot use
it, that's usually grounds for a refund. (Assuming it wasn't clearly
stated to you when you purchased that it required Windows).

That is surely an option. But, I have an iPod too, and I found gtkPod
for Linux to synch my iPod (sort of iTunes for Linux), apart from that
there are plugins for Amarok for such things. I was hoping if there
similar open source stuff to help out here.

Anyways, thanks for your reply.

Bikram

Try this:

http://david.dw-perspective.org.uk/Sony-NW-E00X-Walkman-On-Linux-FreeBSD-MacOSX-etc.html

But be sure to get the latest version (.17a) here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nwe00xmp3man/

It features brainfree setup and DRM-free use. And it converts/transfers files
faster than Sony's own crapplication. I'm using it on a NW-E005F Sony Walkman
now. It's pretty much platform independent, but just fyi here's one working
possibility:

brett@SAREK:~> uname -a; java -version
Linux SAREK 2.6.22.17-0.1-default #1 SMP 2008/02/10 20:01:04 UTC x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux
java version "1.7.0"
IcedTea Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-b24)
IcedTea 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.7.0-b24, mixed mode)

good luck
Brett