Re: [opensuse] Linux & Lantronix serial-to-ethernet-device.
  • From: Koenraad Lelong <k.lelong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:55:40 +0100
Koenraad Lelong schreef:
Rui Santos schreef:

Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Rui Santos schreef:

So, just to see if I got it right:
1) You have an application that requires a serial device
2) The serial device on 1) is connected to another machine's serial port available trough ethernet

The other machine is a "black-box".

If I am correct, try this from socat help page:
socat PTY,link=$HOME/dev/virtualtty0,raw,echo=0,waitslave EXEC:'"ssh -l root networkedserver socat - /dev/ttyS0,nonblock,raw,echo=0"'

This will create a PTY link on $HOME/dev/virtualtty0 and all its traffic will be redirected to another socat instance, that is attached to /dev/ttyS0 on the remote machine.
Is this what you wanted ?

Not entirely, it's not possible to run socat on the remote machine. It's a "black-box". Maybe this will help : http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/wibox.html

Hope it helps,

I'll RTFM of socat and try.
Thanks.

I tried with :
socat PTY,link=$HOME/dev/ttyES0,raw,echo=0 tcp4:192.168.2.137:10001
Sniffing with wireshark and slsnif indicates it should work. Now I need some time and light to test it for real. Light because the photovoltaic system I want to monitor shuts down when not enough light is available and if I don't get home on time it will be too dark already.
Thanks for the help.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong