Re: [opensuse] Sony USB Music Player S/W
  • From: "Bikram Chatterjee" <razorpeak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:59:17 +0530
You could begin by specifying a subject in your post. I'm sure many people
ignore subjectless posts; I > saw it because of timing, it was right at the
top...

Sorry about missing the subject. I have added one now. But this might
create a new thread.

I would say its likely that such a device uses some form of cryptography in
the "special software", but
you could try by installing the software on Windows, copying a file to the
device, then copy it back via
Linux, and see what you can make of it.

Do you mean to do some sort of reverse engineering on the software and
create one myself for Linux?

Windows hating aside, the better option would probably be to return the
device - it doesn't come with
drivers for your OS, meaning you cannot use it, that's usually grounds for a
refund. (Assuming it wasn't
clearly stated to you when you purchased that it required Windows).

That is surely an option. But, I have an iPod too, and I found gtkPod
for Linux to synch my iPod (sort of iTunes for Linux), apart from that
there are plugins for Amarok for such things. I was hoping if there
similar open source stuff to help out here.

Anyways, thanks for your reply.

Bikram