Re: [opensuse] reiserfs - No space left on device
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:01:56 +0100
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jerry Houston wrote:
> Last Thursday, I started having problems indicating a failing drive -- a
> 500 GB Western Digital Caviar that I'd just installed in my #2
> workstation at the office. Panicking, because of the importance (and
> quantity) of data on that drive, I bought the copy of SpinRite that I'd
> always intended to get. (It seemed like a good excuse, and I figured
> that *sometime* I'm going to need it.)

SpinRite is completely bogus, your money was wasted. The advertising for
it is complete and utter technobabble.

There is no software product that can save failing hardware, and you
would do better not to give your money to people who claim there are. It
is the technological equivalent of healing crystals

Anders

Anders, it has been years since I've looked into SpinRite, but it
used to be a good product 20+ years ago. Your comment got me curious.
So I went and read its data recovery section on the web:
http://www.grc.com/srrecovery.htm

http://www.grc.com/files/sr5_lit.pdf

"SpinRite scrubs surfaces, fixing and finding any problems it encounters"

It can also be made to restore sectors determined by the factory to be
bad, which is a bad idea

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.xdsl/msg/9aeee32323c2978e?dmode=source&hl=en

is old but the comments in there are still valid

remember, the comments above weren't about rescuing data from a
known-to-be-broken drive. He actually believed that SR could *repair*
the drive.

And no, SpinRite was never a good product.

That actually makes a lot more sense than you are giving it credit
for. It is all about making a really hard effort to recover data from
a damaged sector and then using reallocation to replace it.

Sure, I use dd_rescue. It's all the other claptrap that convinces me
that Gibson doesn't know what he's talking about

Anders