Re: [opensuse] / as a LV
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:57:07 -0400
Pete Connolly wrote:
LDB wrote:
Moby wrote:

Pete Connolly wrote:
On Tuesday 18 March 2008 14:16:24 LDB wrote:
LDB wrote:
LDB wrote:

Agreed, but after the autoyast installation process and during the
1st boot, it stops and spews the the following ...

Attempting manual resume
Waiting for device /dev/rootvg/root to appear: ..................
not found -- exiting to /bin/sh
$

but then when I boot into rescue mode it mounts just fine ...

Any ideas??

LDB
Scrutinizing even more I am discovering that it is seemingly not
Which does not make sense, since that is what was used to install
the OS in the first place.

LDB
Scratch that last assessment it does load it ...

LDB

You might need to recreate your initrd using the mkinitrd command and using the 'feature' option (-f). From the help page...

-f "feature list" Features to be enabled when generating initrd.
Available features are:
iscsi, md, mpath, lvm, lvm2, evms

This is just to ensure that right lvm2 modules are included in the initial ram disk, plus the linuxrc has the required vgchange commands to activate the root lvm.

I personally can't see a good reason to use lvms for root. The resizing ability is nice but I rarely resize root, just the seperate data lvms.

Cheers

Pete
I had exactly the same problem - root cause was that Grub did not get installed to the MBR of /dev/cciss/c0d0. Fix was to boot into rescue mode, mount the root (/dev/system ... however your LVs are setup). Then mount /dev and /proc into the newly mounted root, chroot to the /dev/system/... root, and then re-run grub install to install into the MBR of /dev/cciss/c0d0.
Worked like a charm here, hope it works for you as well.

Thank you Moby .. Great fix .. now I just have to figure out how to get
it automated. :)

Thanks,

LDB
I'm going to have to try this in the morning on my P2V migrated system. I've got a double whammy of removing the cciss drivers from the initrd and replacing them with the lsilogic drivers required for VMware (mptscsih and mptbase) plus getting the initrd to actually activate the lvm2 volume group that contains the root partition. Under the rescue system, all is fine, but trying to force mkinitrd to use lvm commands (this is a SLES9 server being 'migrated' to a VM) to activate the root partition is still failing.
I'll press on with it, but I still think that a root partition on an LVM is over engineering and it limits what you can do in the future, such as virtualising servers. I can understand LVM for /var, /opt/, /usr etc. but for /root? Too complex and not really required.

Worse... it's not /root (super-user's home directory) but /.

And asking for real headache if the root volume crashes and
the system needs to be restored from backup.

I'm a dedicated believer in keeping things simple. :)

Cheers

Pete