Re: [opensuse] reiserfs - No space left on device
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:37:23 -0400
Jerry Houston wrote:
Sam Clemens wrote:
Get the data off the drive, put it on new hardware, and
get rid of the failing drive.

Unless you really have a secret desire to lose all your data.
There is no proof yet that the hardware is broken, but it wouldn't be
a bad idea to make sure. I would try smartctl.
If he's been having trouble reading from it, and it can't
be attributed to the controller or the cable, then the
disk is, by definition, unreliable.

Last Thursday, I started having problems indicating a failing drive -- a
500 GB Western Digital Caviar that I'd just installed in my #2
workstation at the office. Panicking, because of the importance (and
quantity) of data on that drive, I bought the copy of SpinRite that I'd
always intended to get. (It seemed like a good excuse, and I figured
that *sometime* I'm going to need it.)

After a quick 2-hour level 2 SpinRite run, the disk seemed to be
rehabilitated, but the next morning when I came to work, there were
problems again. Realizing that I'd just maxed out the memory in that
machine (from 1.5 GB to 4 GB) plus adding a bigger disk drive, I figured
that maybe I'd exceeded the capacity of the OEM case fan to keep things
cool inside, so I took off the side panel and ran SpinRite again -- this
time, the 24-hour level 4 session. And I ordered a 70+ CFM fan from
NewEgg.com.

Everything seemed fine today, so I thought I'd try putting the side
panel back on, and instantly things went screwy again. Drive D:
disappeared. Turns out, with the new SATA drive installed in the normal
way, and with an ordinary SATA cable (straight), the side panel on the
case bends the end of the cable over sideways where it enters the back
of the drive. Removing the case panel again, and re-inserting the cable
after straightening out the end of it, solved the problem. I now have
drive D: back again.

And I've ordered a 90-degree SATA cable from NewEgg.
Maybe something like that could be going on here?

Possibly.

But considering how cheap disk drives are, and how expensive
it is to acquire/generate the data to fill it, and without any
other evidence, hoping that the problem is something other than
the drive, and acting on that hope (without any other evidence)
is... setting yourself up for failure.

And as for lack of fan problems...doesn't overheating damage
those very same disk drives?