Re: [opensuse] Starting a Java application
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:06:51 -0700

You could confirm that by entering the command:

% ls -l ./lib/genj.jar ./lib/jhbasic.jar

The files are there. I can see them. They are also in the right
place.

Really, the only "right place" is where they're referred to by the
class-path.

Rather than knock my head against a brick wall, I've chosen to bite
the bullet and download the new (one week old) release. I've
installed it, and this has been painless ... right to the end. It
left an icon on the desktop, so I don't even have to do that.

Clicking on the icon brings up the exasperating announcement
that: "KDEInit cannot
launch '/usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_update14/jre/bin/javaw'".

Javaw is a Windows-ism. Windows requires two JVM launchers, one for
character mode and one for GUI mode. Javaw is for GUI (_w_indowing)
mode programs.

But this again suggests that you're using a release not intended for a
Linux / Unix system. Then again, that is contradicted by the fact that
created a desktop icon.

That is indeed where Java lives, but there is no file called "javaw"
in that directory. Even more surprising, <find -name "javaw"> doesn't
find anything on the system. (I ran that as root, from /).

As above.

Randall Schulz