Re: [opensuse] Starting a Java application
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:14:26 +0200
On Monday 17 March 2008 21:38:51 Anders Johansson wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
I have been using this Java app for many years under OS/2, and want
now to run it in openSuSE.

The starting command that I have been trying to use (from a terminal,
in the application's own directory) is:

<java -cp ./lib/genj.jar:./lib/jhbasic.jar genj.app.App>

The two jar files are what I know to be required to run this
application, and they are just where they should be; spelling and
case are correct. The jar files have three "r"s in their permisisons.
Yet running this command yields only the exception warning:

genj/app/App

I must be doing something wrong, but I don't see what.

Which version of GenealogyJ are you using there? The latest one, 2.4.4,
doesn't contain the genj.app domain, it is genj.geo. There isn't an App
class either

I am running a much older version of the program, because it is adequate
for my needs. I do not need all the additional baggage that v2.x carries.
But what is more to the point, what I am using has been running happily
under java v1.4.2 for a long time, and there is no obvious reason why it
should not run also under Linux.

Its jar file, BTW, does indeed have a main file genj.app.App; I didn't
make up any of that out of my head. As I keep saying, everything in the
commandline I am trying to run is copied from the WORKING installation in
OS/2. I am simply trying to reproduce in Linux what I had before.

The release I have does have a run script (also for Windows and OS/2). I
had not been using the OS/2 script, because OS/2 has a way to account for
the classpath and other parameters without the use of the script, and it
is more convenient.

And you're supposed to start it with the run.sh script

Anders

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on