Re: [opensuse] Xen on production environments
  • From: "Ciro Iriarte" <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:43:16 -0400
2008/3/17, Carlos Lorenzo Matés <clmates@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Cio.

El Domingo, 16 de Marzo de 2008, Ciro Iriarte escribió:

2008/3/13, Carlos Lorenzo Matés <clmates@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hi Cio.

2 Xen virtual machines

> > 1 = Windows 2000 server running Formscape , I need to install the
> > Virtual Machine Driver pack to get a good performance. Now this server is
> > at least 3 times faster that the one that replaces (1 GB ram, 20 GB HD
> > using really only 6 GB)
> >
> > 2 = OpenSuSE 10.2 runing pandora FMS, very good performance also (512 MB
> > Ram, 10 GB HD, using really only 3 GB)
>
> Wonder about the Linux options, what would be the difference between
> running a SLES10 guest with the xen kernel (paravirtualized) and
> running a SLES10 guest fully virtualized BUT with the SLES drivers for
> xen (xen-kmp*)...

As far as i know, SLES10 and in general the same brand linux guests will run
ever paravirtualized, and with this you will get better performance than with
full virtualization.

--

Un saludo.

Carlos Lorenzo Matés.
clmates AT mundo-r.com

According to Novell virtualization manuals, SLES10 can be run either
fully virtuallized or paravirtuallized. Then states that using
specific drivers for xen in full virtualization mode the performance
is increased. But it's not clear to me if there's a difference between
the two options (paravirtuallized and fully virtuallized+ xen-kmp
drivers)

Regards,
Ciro
< Previous Next >