Re: [opensuse] Starting a Java application
  • From: "Stan Goodman" <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:04:21 +0200
** Reply to message from Thomas Schmidt <tschmidt@xxxxxxx> on Mon, 17 Mar 2008
18:17:54 +0100

Stan Goodman schrieb:
I have been using this Java app for many years under OS/2, and want now to
run
it in openSuSE.

The starting command that I have been trying to use (from a terminal, in the
application's own directory) is:

<java -cp ./lib/genj.jar:./lib/jhbasic.jar genj.app.App>

The two jar files are what I know to be required to run this application,
and
they are just where they should be; spelling and case are correct. The jar
files have three "r"s in their permisisons. Yet running this command yields
only the exception warning:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: genj/app/App

I must be doing something wrong, but I don't see what.

It seems that neither of the 2 libraries contains the Class genj.app.App
which you are trying to call.
Greetings

No. That is why I mentioned at the beginning that I have been using this
application for many years. Those two jars are the only ones around. To try to
call it under Linux, I tried to translate the OS/2 instruction (which works!)
to Linuxese according to information I found on the Web. To be clear, in OS/2,
the classpath is <f:\genj\lib\genj.jar;f:\genj\lib\jhbasic.jar>, and the
command is <java genj.app.App>. To me, this looks a lot like what I am trying
to do in the Linux case above.

Under OS/2, I used quite a few Java applications. What I have seen is that the
NoClassFoundError is pretty much a general purpose thing that can happen when
virtually anything triggers it. I am hoping that someone more knowledgeable
than me can detect what is triggering it now, because I just don't see it.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on