Re: [opensuse] Permission problem while accessing a folder mounted with CIFS
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:55:14 -0700
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think it probably has to do with the cifs mount command. There is an
alternative method that I found I needed to use to mount cifs volumes from my
Samba server on my laptop to have them mounted at boot time with appropriate
permissions.

Ah, yes, I had almost forgotten this. CIFS tries to use LOCAL management
of permissions, that is, the machine doing the mount attempts to tell the
server the permissions to use, and since the user logged in on the
mounting machine has a different userid than root on the server
it does not work.

You have to add the options noacl,noperm, to the mount command to tell
CIFS that it should allow the SERVER to manage permissions.

I often mount samba shares this way in /etc/fstab: (its one long line
- bound to wrap here:

//server/share /mnt cifs
auto,user,uid=1000,gid=1003,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,ip=192.168.0.1,noacl,noperm,nocase,credentials=/root/creds
1 2

man mount.cifs explains noperms