Re: [opensuse] Permission problem while accessing a folder mounted with CIFS
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:25:49 +1030
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:10:33 Alexander Winizki wrote:
Rodney Baker schrieb:
On Mon, March 17, 2008 11:48 am, John Andersen wrote:
On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Alexander Winizki <awinizki@xxxxxx>

wrote:
Hi,
I hav a PC with OpenSuse 10.3. In my network there is another box
named "dreambox" which is running a Samba server.
I want to open a file on this machine with a Java program running on
my PC. I mount the shared folder by issuing the following
command as root:

mount -t cifs -o user=root -o rw //dreambox/harddisk /mnt/dreambox
[...snip...]
Since I can read the files from Windows or KDE or smbclient, this proves
that the server is willing to
grant me read access. I see the problem with the cifs vfs module. Or
does the CIFS VFS module claim
to adhere - as opposed to Windows, KDE or smbclient - to some kind of
specification that requires it to
deny read access in my situation?

I think it probably has to do with the cifs mount command. There is an
alternative method that I found I needed to use to mount cifs volumes from my
Samba server on my laptop to have them mounted at boot time with appropriate
permissions. I'm about to go to bed (1am here) but I'll try to check tomorrow
after work. It has been some time since I set this up and it just works now.

[...snip...] that I can really read it. At least this issue is IMHO a bug.
The most
strange thing is what I found out yesterday: I can read files for which ls
reports that I have write access, like this:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2147483580 31. Dez 11:45 movie.ts

So, most probably I will use this method as a workaround meanwhile.

Again, I suspect that the problem is simple. I have it working fine at home
running a Samba server on openSuse 10.3 (standard install, not a custom
build) with both openSuse and Windows clients on 2 different laptops, one
doing domain logons (yes, I know it's overkill for a home network but I
wanted to figure out how to do it) and one not.

[...snip...]
It's just my home network. The samba server is a digital TV receiver
based on Linux with a built-in HDD
so I can record TV shows on it. I copy the recorded movies to my PC in
order to burn them on DVD. So,
IMHO, security is not an issue in my scenario since the network is
protected by a router from outside access.

Of course, the level of required security is dependent on how important it is
to you (or how much damage would occur) if someone did gain unauthorised
access to your network...
I would indeed never configure a server like this in a company.

Of course, that would be asking for a great deal of trouble...

The more important thing for me is that it works with a couple of mouse
clicks in Windows or in KDE or
with smbclient - with all these I have read access to the receiver's
harddisk without needing to change
anything in the configuration.

Which is what makes me think it is related to either how the share is
configured or how it is being mounted.

So, I would be thankful for further comments.

Will follow up tomorrow (if someone hasn't beaten me to it...).

Regards,