Re: [opensuse] Permission problem while accessing a folder mounted with CIFS
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:18:12 -0700
On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Alexander Winizki <awinizki@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I hav a PC with OpenSuse 10.3. In my network there is another box named
"dreambox" which is running a Samba server.
I want to open a file on this machine with a Java program running on my
PC. I mount the shared folder by issuing the following
command as root:

mount -t cifs -o user=root -o rw //dreambox/harddisk /mnt/dreambox

Then I can list the contents of the mounted folder. The file I want to
open is listed as follows:

-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2147483580 31. Dez 11:45 movie.ts

Then if I try to copy it to the local disk, I get an error message:

#cp movie.ts /home
cp: movie.ts cannot be opened for reading: No permission

But according to ls everyone has a reading permission!

It sucks that you have to allow mounting anything thru samba as root!
Its just wrong on so many levels.
Worse, your guest account = root! Yikes.

Next, you might want to try smbmount with that version of samba.