Re: [opensuse] Re: Xen on production environments
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 23:03:41 +0100
On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 16:34 -0400, Ciro Iriarte wrote:
2008/3/16, Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Some quick replies...

Whats the benefit of sles in this respect ?
(Open gets more frequent updates)

Last time I checked, SLES had updates for 5 years...
Regarding time-span: correctly, they doing a nice job
But i think (not sure, can't see it here right now)
sles10-sp1 is using a much older xen-version, compared with open-10.3
(correct me if i'm mistaken)

About 32-clients on 64-hosts, You can create, stop and start them.
Which is nice if you have a lot of 32-bit and 64- bit machines.
It means you can start any image on any host.
Only live migrations fails....

Yep, but live migration would look cooler to management :p
Yes, true, But i had to find a good usage for a dozen old machines.
FreeBSD still doesn't run on it, and even the mickeysoft boys dont like
those DL320's

NTP: All of our systems gets the same config, including ntp-source.
We use a library of xml-files to create them. No manual intervention
needed. It's a known bug at a lower level.

I've read that if you use paravirtualization, you should not use NTP
with the VMs, only for the VM host (dom0)

Or use independant wall clock

Sounds cool, but are you using some PXO/PXS cards?, or it's pure
VOIP?, the guys in charge of the IVR service use some of them just to
serve as IVRs...

No, these images are pure voip.
We have on a number of buildings/locations a amount of ata's and
desktop's with tdm-boards and also a "production-grade" server
connecting to the pstn-network
Machines are inter-connected with SIP / IAX
This way we can easily experiment with little impact.

hw