Re: [opensuse] Re: Xen on production environments
  • From: "Ciro Iriarte" <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:34:07 -0400
2008/3/16, Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Some quick replies...

Whats the benefit of sles in this respect ?
(Open gets more frequent updates)

Last time I checked, SLES had updates for 5 years...

About 32-clients on 64-hosts, You can create, stop and start them.
Which is nice if you have a lot of 32-bit and 64- bit machines.
It means you can start any image on any host.
Only live migrations fails....

Yep, but live migration would look cooler to management :p

NTP: All of our systems gets the same config, including ntp-source.
We use a library of xml-files to create them. No manual intervention
needed. It's a known bug at a lower level.

I've read that if you use paravirtualization, you should not use NTP
with the VMs, only for the VM host (dom0)

About starting, yes you can config to start virtual machines
automatically.
Point however was (in my case) if you slowly migrate all kinds of
functionalities, all remains working well.
After a sudden blackout however:
In my dhcpd-server-image, no addresses are defined, but dns-names.
And the dns-server coukd not be started, because that image could not
perform an dhcp-request. Could not login on any dom-0, because
authentications was done towards an ldap-machine, which could not be
started, because it couldn't get an ip-address. Besides, the hostname
"ldap" could not be resolved, because the dns-server could not be
started...
The original idea behind it was to get a fail-save configuration with
LVS virtual servers and heart-beat. Works wel if only ony thing goes
down, not if all goes down.

So now some machines have fixed addresses, and some services run on bare
metal, instead of virtual machines....

Only thing that realy surprised me is that instead of all the warnings
we've got a number of asterisk-voip-servers in an xen images running
without any speech quality degredation (both 1.4 and 1.6 versions)

Sounds cool, but are you using some PXO/PXS cards?, or it's pure
VOIP?, the guys in charge of the IVR service use some of them just to
serve as IVRs...

hw

Ciro