Re: [opensuse] Xen on production environments
  • From: "Ciro Iriarte" <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:09:00 -0400
2008/3/13, Carlos Lorenzo Matés <clmates@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Cio.

El Miércoles, 12 de Marzo de 2008, Ciro Iriarte escribió:

Hi, anybody has some experience with xen in production environments?,
> using SLES10SP1 or OpenSUSE?.
>
> I'm interested in HA and flexibility, but i'm deeply concerned about
> performance...
>
> Still didn't finish my investigation, but probably will use external
> storage to move around the VMs with real disks (LUNs, not files) for
> each of them. Anybody experienced issues with the Xen scheduler?

I have a SLES 10 + SP1 in a AMD Opteron 2 Gig RAM

2 Xen virtual machines

1 = Windows 2000 server running Formscape , I need to install the Virtual
Machine Driver pack to get a good performance. Now this server is at least 3
times faster that the one that replaces (1 GB ram, 20 GB HD using really only
6 GB)

2 = OpenSuSE 10.2 runing pandora FMS, very good performance also (512 MB Ram,
10 GB HD, using really only 3 GB)

Wonder about the Linux options, what would be the difference between
running a SLES10 guest with the xen kernel (paravirtualized) and
running a SLES10 guest fully virtualized BUT with the SLES drivers for
xen (xen-kmp*)...

0 downtime since 4 months

the best of all is the VM restart times is about 60 sg due to the no hardware
checking on boot

windows was never so fast ;-)

Hope this helps

--