Re: [opensuse] Re: Xen on production environments
  • From: "Ciro Iriarte" <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:01:38 -0400
2008/3/13, Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Ciro,

We have a dozen dl360 dl380, each of them two dual core xeons and
between 6 or 8 GB ram, and one dual quad core with 24 GB ram.
All of them are equipped with a fibre channel card towards a IBM-SAN.

Sounds nice :D

Most of them run 10.3, one of them Ubuntu-geisty.

I think we'll go with SLES10

I tried to rebuild the dom-u's with 32-bit-pae.
I thought that was a wise move, as most of the clients have between
512MB and 2048MB mem, so 64-bit architecture seems to be a waste.

Problem however is that live migration of pae-images leads to disaster.
Dom-u freezes, and dom-0 has to be hard rebooted. identical images made
with 64bit cause no problem what so ever.

I've read that all the VM's and VM hosts need to run the same
architecture for the LM to work.

performance is never an issue.
Like one other poster mentions, sometimes the clock stands still, which
causes "funny situations".

We use NTP for all our servers, does the problem apply to lower to
that level? (won't use it for the DomUs..)

We used to have all services in seperate dom-u's, which normally work
well. But after a power blackout we found out that we created a
rat-race. Dom-0 needed an dhcp-address, but the dhcpd-server was another
dom-u, Same problem with both master & slave ldap server in an dom-u, or
master & slave DNS-server....

Can the VMs be automatically started?

Most of the dom-u's are LAMP-machines or dedicated applications that
have to run for some months.

So be carefull about race-conditions..

Luckily we won't use the VMs for infrastructure machines...

Besides that, it works like a charm.

Good to know!

Hans

Ciro