Re: [opensuse] Re: Xen on production environments
  • From: "Ciro Iriarte" <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:33:02 -0400
2008/3/13, Jose <jtc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Jack Malone wrote:

>> No Xen adopters?, is that bad?.
>
> We are running Xen here. Performance is good, though I guess that very
> much depends on what you want to do in your virtual machines.
>
> We have a double quad core machine, 8 gig ram, and one virtual machine
> is being used to run statistical analysis on. (stata multicore)
>
> This works _very_ fast.
>
> But I'm sure many other people here have much more interesting stories
> to tell?
>
> I'm looking at putting in either Xen or vmware enterprise here at work at
the moment myself. I will be running 3 OES 2 servers an at least 3 windows
2003 vm servers. I have not played with the Xen that comes in SuSe enterprise
10 yet but have played with the Xen enterprise version an love it. With the
enterprise version its the main os for the server ( a modified version of
Linux ) an you control an install all vm's from a windows work station. very
nice interface. I have a good friend who is a Novell consultant show me the
Xen stuff in SuSe enterprise 10 this past weekend an it was pretty nice
looking. I'm hoping to go with Xen here an save the company lots of money,
but its not up to me to make the whole decision.

> Just my thoughts on Xen for what its worth.
>
> jack

We played with XEN, but found it difficult to operate, one of the major
problems we had is that when we create a new machine, allows us to point
to the source of installation (DVD/CD no virtual) for the first time,
but if had a problem during install due to compatibility problems, when
we would try to restart the virtual engine again, it would try to boot
to disk and the CD/DVD declaration would be gone, don't know if this is
the normal behavior for XEN, but we end up using vmware for Linux, more
flexible and allows us to play with the virtual hardware way easier than
XEN tools,

Just my take, may be different for some other people.

Jose

Last time I used vmware (v1.0.4) was in a solaris course from my
laptop running on top of OpenSUSE 10.2, the I/O to disk was a joke
compared to vmware on top of Windows, so i guess it's not an option to
run it on top of linux...

Ciro