[opensuse] Permission problem while accessing a folder mounted with CIFS
  • From: Alexander Winizki <awinizki@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:27:35 +0100
Hi,
I hav a PC with OpenSuse 10.3. In my network there is another box named "dreambox" which is running a Samba server.
I want to open a file on this machine with a Java program running on my PC. I mount the shared folder by issuing the following
command as root:

mount -t cifs -o user=root -o rw //dreambox/harddisk /mnt/dreambox

Then I can list the contents of the mounted folder. The file I want to open is listed as follows:

-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2147483580 31. Dez 11:45 movie.ts

Then if I try to copy it to the local disk, I get an error message:

#cp movie.ts /home
cp: movie.ts cannot be opened for reading: No permission

But according to ls everyone has a reading permission!

On my PC there is also Windows XP SP2 installed. Under Windows i can simply mount the shared folder from
the windows explorer with "extras->connect network drive" and can open the files on it for reading with any program.

Under KDE it also works without problems - by opening the remote:/ view and klicking "add network folder". After I have added the network folder, I can copy files from it to the local disk without problems. Unfortunately, such network folders are not accessible in the file open
dialog of Java programs. The files i want to process are a couple of GB large, so copying them to the local disk and opening them afterwards would be awkward as compared to working under windows where I can copy the file to the PC and process it in the same one step.

Since the machine I want to mount is a kind of a multimedia box built on embedded hardware, I have no possibility to install new software on it. In particular, there is no nfsd installed on that box! The smbd version 1.9.18. I can only edit the configuration files and boot/shutdown the box etc.

The contents of the smb.conf file are as follows:
[global]
character set = ISO8859-1
client code page = 850
load printers = no
guest account = root
log file = /tmp/smb.log
security = share
server string = DreamBOX - Samba Version %v
workgroup = minander
netbios name = DreamBOX

[Configuration]
comment = Configuration files - take care!
path = /var
read only = no
public = yes
guest ok = yes

[Harddisk]
comment = The harddisk
path = /hdd
read only = no
public = yes
guest ok = yes

so, what am i doing wrong and how can I mount the folder so that it allows me to have read access to the files?