Re: [opensuse] /dev/md0 borked, can't mdadm --stop it, can't swapon /dev/md0
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:07:47 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2008-03-14 at 17:16 -0400, Antryg Revok wrote:

OK, that fixed it:
( removing "resume=/dev/md0" from /boot/grub/menu.lst )
NOW I can activate swap.

The question, then, is just how in the hell come resume blocks swap when it's on /dev/md0, and it ( usually/apparently ) doesn't do so on a conventional partition?

Possibly resume can not work from a swap device in software raid, because the raid is not yet working when the kernel tries to resume. Dunno.

If you need resume you will have to set another swap partition outside of the raid. I mean, a swap on raid, and another for resuming. I suppose it could work, setting them with different priorities so that the non raid swap is not used normally at all.

Also, what happens to the system when resume=... has been removed from the boot
parameters?

a) it's nap-time for me ( up all night with this damn thing ), and
b) gonna have to look up how to disable all suspend services,
because I think they need the resume stuff

Don't worry. If there is no resume partition, it should simply disable resume/suspend automatically. If not, I'll try to remember the config file that disables it manually.

c) maybe someday I'll discover how to have resume-data in a raid-1/swap
partition, as it should be intended. . .

Maybe is something hasn't yet been implemented. About 1.5 years ago you could not have two swap partitions and suspend; now you can. You could not have /boot on raid, now you can. Perhaps raid on swap will allow suspending in the future. Not now.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.