[opensuse] rsync command failing in cron file
  • From: Mike Coan <mikecoan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:33:44 -0400
I use rsync to back up a number of directories on the server to an external
usb hard drive. For example, the virtual machines on the server are in the
directory /vmware.

The external usb hard drive automounts to /media/disk and has 5 directories.
1Monday
2Tuesday
..
..
5Friday

so that I get full backups for 5 different days.

If I su to root and type the command

rsync -av --delete /vmware /media/disk/4Thursday

it works perfectly. In my root cronfile I have the follwoing command for
Thursday

35 23 * * 4 /usr/bin/rsync -av --delete /vmware /media/disk/4Thursday

In /var/mail I get the following error message