Re: [opensuse] Re: Maxtor removable disk not recognized
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 00:00:01 -0400
Charles philip Chan wrote:
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

But, but, here we are using a Linux system and not Windows.

What happens if the OP doesn't have a Windows system to play with?

(Always this fallback to, "Try doing this in Windows and then see what
happens....". Stuff Windows! Can't something be done EVER without
first being referenced to Windows?!)

I generally don't advocate a Windows solution and I don't use
Windows. Unfortunately, the sleep feature cannot be turn off permenantly
by any other means. My advice is to stay away from Seagate Free Agent
and Maxter OneTouch 4 drives unless you feel like unplugging and
replugging the drive every 5 to 15 minutes (if sleep mode is not turned
off). Here is the original article I got it from:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/11/seagate-issues-workaround-linux

Yes, but be advised that this is ONLY true of the USB connection. Withe the Free Agent drives, ESATA is supported and I've NOT had the drive "sleep" on me yet.

Fred

--
"Security" in Windows comes from patching a sieve.