Re: [opensuse] Xen on production environments
  • From: Carlos Lorenzo Matés <clmates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:08:42 +0100
Hi Cio.

El Miércoles, 12 de Marzo de 2008, Ciro Iriarte escribió:
Hi, anybody has some experience with xen in production environments?,
using SLES10SP1 or OpenSUSE?.

I'm interested in HA and flexibility, but i'm deeply concerned about
performance...

Still didn't finish my investigation, but probably will use external
storage to move around the VMs with real disks (LUNs, not files) for
each of them. Anybody experienced issues with the Xen scheduler?

I have a SLES 10 + SP1 in a AMD Opteron 2 Gig RAM

2 Xen virtual machines

1 = Windows 2000 server running Formscape , I need to install the Virtual
Machine Driver pack to get a good performance. Now this server is at least 3
times faster that the one that replaces (1 GB ram, 20 GB HD using really only
6 GB)

2 = OpenSuSE 10.2 runing pandora FMS, very good performance also (512 MB Ram,
10 GB HD, using really only 3 GB)

0 downtime since 4 months

the best of all is the VM restart times is about 60 sg due to the no hardware
checking on boot

windows was never so fast ;-)

Hope this helps

--