Re: [opensuse] Re: Xen on production environments
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:25:47 +0100
On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 23:13 -0400, Ciro Iriarte wrote:
2008/3/12, Ciro Iriarte <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi, anybody has some experience with xen in production environments?,
using SLES10SP1 or OpenSUSE?.

I'm interested in HA and flexibility, but i'm deeply concerned about
performance...

Still didn't finish my investigation, but probably will use external
storage to move around the VMs with real disks (LUNs, not files) for
each of them. Anybody experienced issues with the Xen scheduler?

Regards,

Ciro

No Xen adopters?, is that bad?.

Ciro

Hi Ciro,

We have a dozen dl360 dl380, each of them two dual core xeons and
between 6 or 8 GB ram, and one dual quad core with 24 GB ram.
All of them are equipped with a fibre channel card towards a IBM-SAN.

Most of them run 10.3, one of them Ubuntu-geisty.
I tried to rebuild the dom-u's with 32-bit-pae.
I thought that was a wise move, as most of the clients have between
512MB and 2048MB mem, so 64-bit architecture seems to be a waste.

Problem however is that live migration of pae-images leads to disaster.
Dom-u freezes, and dom-0 has to be hard rebooted. identical images made
with 64bit cause no problem what so ever.

performance is never an issue.
Like one other poster mentions, sometimes the clock stands still, which
causes "funny situations".

We used to have all services in seperate dom-u's, which normally work
well. But after a power blackout we found out that we created a
rat-race. Dom-0 needed an dhcp-address, but the dhcpd-server was another
dom-u, Same problem with both master & slave ldap server in an dom-u, or
master & slave DNS-server....
Most of the dom-u's are LAMP-machines or dedicated applications that
have to run for some months.

So be carefull about race-conditions..

Besides that, it works like a charm.

Hans