Re: [opensuse] firefox mplayer plugin stealing data files
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:44:17 +0100 (CET)

The Thursday 2008-03-13 at 15:20 -0000, Dave Howorth wrote:

That was my first thought, but it's not consistent with seeing the
problem when opening a local file, is it?

it is if this is kde related (see the kde control center, file association)

I don't run kde. I type the command in a gnome-terminal. The window
manager is icewm.

I can replicate your problem.

I created a "pepe.dat" file containing "hello", and opened it from the gnome console by typing "firefox pepe.dat": It tried to open it via "gxine" plugin. Same thing happens from an xterm and a konsole.

Indeed, .dat files are asociated as multimedia files somewhere.

Certainly, there is no such association for .dat files in firefox configuration that I can see.

There is another place for those associations: browse to "about:plugins" and search for the mplayer or gxine entry: however, there is no "dat" there.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.