Re: [opensuse] firefox mplayer plugin stealing data files
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:17:11 +0000
Thanks to everybody who tried to help so far, but no coconut as yet ...

John Andersen wrote:
Any chance that one of those DAT files had audio/video media inside?

Typing "firefox pluginreg.dat" in ~/.mozilla/firefox/ causes the
problem, as I said. So no, the problem does not depend on the file
containing audio or video.

Linux is not an extension driven system.

You can change the extension on, say, a pdf to anything you
want, but linux will still know its a pdf.

see next comment :)

Pavol Rusnak wrote:
John Andersen wrote:
Linux is not an extension driven system.

Linux is not, but Firefox (Opera and others) are.

1) menu Edit -> Preferences
2) select Content tab
3) File types: press Manage button
4) select line with DAT in first column
5) press Remove action

Good suggestion, except there's no Manage button on the Content tab
(it's the View & Edit Actions button on the Downloads tab) and I can't
do step 4 because as I said it doesn't show anything handling .DAT files.

Carlos E. R. wrote:
This can also happen if the webpage specifies the incorrect file type
for the link. In those case I abort the thing and specify "open with
other" and manually select the application.

But the problem occurs when I open a file directly from the local
filesystem (see above). So I don't see how this fits? And the downloaded
one was ftp, not http.

Oddball wrote:
Yep, mime-type wrong..

That was my first thought, but it's not consistent with seeing the
problem when opening a local file, is it?

Cheers, Dave

PS My original mail has the pluginreg.dat config file, if that helps
anybody to see what's going wrong.