Re: [opensuse] Re: Xen on production environments
  • From: "Jack Malone" <JMalone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:55:28 -0600

mourik jan c heupink <heupink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 3/13/2008 3:51 AM >>>

No Xen adopters?, is that bad?.

We are running Xen here. Performance is good, though I guess that very
much depends on what you want to do in your virtual machines.

We have a double quad core machine, 8 gig ram, and one virtual machine
is being used to run statistical analysis on. (stata multicore)

This works _very_ fast.

But I'm sure many other people here have much more interesting stories
to tell?

I'm looking at putting in either Xen or vmware enterprise here at work at the
moment myself. I will be running 3 OES 2 servers an at least 3 windows 2003 vm
servers. I have not played with the Xen that comes in SuSe enterprise 10 yet
but have played with the Xen enterprise version an love it. With the
enterprise version its the main os for the server ( a modified version of Linux
) an you control an install all vm's from a windows work station. very nice
interface. I have a good friend who is a Novell consultant show me the Xen
stuff in SuSe enterprise 10 this past weekend an it was pretty nice looking.
I'm hoping to go with Xen here an save the company lots of money, but its not
up to me to make the whole decision.

Just my thoughts on Xen for what its worth.

jack