Re: [opensuse] Monitoring my Linux logs
  • From: Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:33:07 -0700
Per Jessen wrote:
Sloan wrote:

We are moving to hobbit for this sort of monitoring -

hobbit.sf.net

Looks pretty stale to me - what made you choose this over nagios and/or
munin?

Stale?

It's being actively developed, has an active community and and they are close to releasing v 4.3

We started with big brother years ago. The bb code was bought by quest software in 2001 or so and has basically gone stagnant since that time. We discovered that hobbit is a bb-compatible drop-in replacement, with lots of standard features that were not available in bb, or only available as a labor intensive add-on project. The nice thing about hobbit is that we can upgrade our bb servers to hobbit, and the hundreds of bb clients don't have to be changed, as the hobbit server acts just like a bb server as far as the clients are concerned.

As for nagios, we looked at that and it just didn't grab us. I'm not saying there was any specific problem, it's just that there was nothing about it that made us say "wow we need to dump big brother and move to nagios". It would have been a major transition and learning curve for no good reason that we could discern.

Joe