Re: [opensuse] 3D nVidia Driver - graphic pictures have dotted lines all over
  • From: Curtis Rey <crey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:00:35 -0700
On Wednesday 12 March 2008 08:29:10 LLLActive@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all,

I wanted to install Google-Earth last week. It mouthed about not finding
the right nVidia 3D driver. So I installed nVidia's drivers for my card.
All worked OK, but then I noticed that all graphics had fine dotted
lines (1-pix X 1-px to 1-px X 10-px dots) in them, even in the Panel
Menu. If I close for eg. the document in OOo-Writer where the graphic
has the horizontal dotted lines all over, and open it again, it is clean
- till the window or something is moved. The desktop background pictures
are mostly dotted all-over, till I change it to another. Then it stays
clean for a while, till something which I cannot determine is causing
it, causes the dotted lines again. Backgrounds without a picture stays
clean. What could cause that?

My Machine's Data:

uname -a = Linux ~~ 2.6.22.17-0.1-default #1 SMP 2008/02/10 20:01:04 UTC
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
OS: Linux 2.6.22.17-0.1-default x86_64
System: openSUSE 10.3 (x86_64)
KDE: 3.5.7 "release 72.6"

Graphic Card: nVidia Corporation
Model: GeForce 7600 GS
Driver: nvidia (3D Support)
nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-default - NVIDIA gfx driver kernel module Ver
169.12_2.6.22.17_0.1-0.1
x11-video-nvidiaG01 - nvidia GL drivers Ver 169.12-0.1

Monitor: Belinea B102035W

:-)

Al

A couple of things come to mind.

A) The newer drivers have been a bit shaky on my Windoze boxen - had to roll
back to earlier version. This might be part of your problem. It depends on
your HW, etc.., so you might want to try an earlier version.

B) How was it configured in the xorg conf? Maybe post it?

C) After you installed the Nvidia drivers have you had any kernel updates
installed after? If so, this might also be part of the problem (been a
couple of kernel updates lately).

Cheers. Curtis.