Re: [opensuse] Re: Maxtor removable disk not recognized
  • From: Matthias Titeux <matthias.titeux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:48:52 +0100
Le Wednesday 12 March 2008 15:04:07 Charles philip Chan, vous avez écrit :
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
But, but, here we are using a Linux system and not Windows.

What happens if the OP doesn't have a Windows system to play with?

(Always this fallback to, "Try doing this in Windows and then see what
happens....". Stuff Windows! Can't something be done EVER without
first being referenced to Windows?!)

I generally don't advocate a Windows solution and I don't use
Windows. Unfortunately, the sleep feature cannot be turn off permenantly
by any other means. My advice is to stay away from Seagate Free Agent
and Maxter OneTouch 4 drives unless you feel like unplugging and
replugging the drive every 5 to 15 minutes (if sleep mode is not turned
off). Here is the original article I got it from:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/11/seagate-issues-worka
round-linux

Charles

I am just following this interesting thread... and the link that you just
mentioned describe a workaround for linux.
I can't try it so I don't know if it is working.
The OP should try it.
Here is the link again

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/11/seagate-issues-workaround-linux

Matthias
                     Matthias Titeux, PhD
Département de génétique des maladies cutanées et allergiques
            dans des modèles animaux et chez l'homme.
                      INSERM U563 - CPTP
                 Pavillon Lefebvre, 5ème étage
                          CHU Purpan
                            BP3028