[opensuse] Monitoring my Linux logs
  • From: "Dirk Moolman" <DirkM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:37:32 +0200
We are in the process of building our own scripts to monitor all our
systems (operating systems, databases, network, etc.)

My question is around Linux. We want to monitor the main linux logs. I
would appreciate some tips & ideas on this.

Our first goal is to go through the Linux log (/var/log/messages), and
grep out problem areas / errors, but this can be tricky, eg. what do you
grep for ?

What is the industry standard - how do you guys & girls do this ?

Dirk

PS. we do not have the budget to buy tools, so I have to make do with
free software, and writing my own scripts.

*** Disclaimer ***

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and legally privileged
and is intended solely for the addressee and to others who have the authority
to receive it. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized and as
such, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted in
reliance on it is unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender immediately.

The views expressed in this e-mail are the views of the individual sender and
should in no way be construed as the views of the Company.

The Company is not liable to ensure that outgoing e-mails are virus-free.

The Company is not liable, should information or data, for whatever reason, be
corrupted or fail to reach its intended addressee.

The Company is not liable for any loss or damage of whatsoever nature and
howsoever arising resulting from the opening or the use of the information in
this e-mail, including its attachments and links.

The sender of this e-mail is subject to and bound by the terms and conditions
of Company+IBk-s Electronic Communications Usage Policy.