Re: [opensuse] Re: Maxtor removable disk not recognized
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:49:01 +1100
Charles philip Chan wrote:
"Cristea Bogdan" <cristeab@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:

There are no new entries in /dev when connecting the rmv. disk. The
model of the external Maxtor drive is OneTouch 4 Mini and it has a
capacity of 160 GB.

OK, after researching the drive it sounds like the sleep mode power
management feature in some of the newer external Seagate and Maxter
drives which Linux have problems with. Try this in Windows:

,----
| For the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Family you need to double click the Maxtor
| Manager icon on your Desktop. Click on the Settings button. Click Adjust
| Power Setting Button. By default, an OneTouch 4 will spin down after 15
| minutes of inactivity and the OneTouch 4 Mini will spin down after five
| minutes of inactivity. Click on the time field to select an inactivity
| period. Set it to Never. Click Apply.
`----

and try mounting the drive in Linux again.

Charles

But, but, here we are using a Linux system and not Windows.

What happens if the OP doesn't have a Windows system to play with?

(Always this fallback to, "Try doing this in Windows and then see what happens....". Stuff Windows! Can't something be done EVER without first being referenced to Windows?!)

Ciao.

--
A Short Fairy Tale.

One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who,
surprisingly, did not whine, nag, or bitch...

But this was a long time ago...

And, it was only for just one day.

The End