Fwd: [opensuse] Re: Maxtor removable disk not recognized
  • From: "Cristea Bogdan" <cristeab@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:46:48 +0200
From: Cristea Bogdan <cristeab@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Re: Maxtor removable disk not recognized
To: Charles philip Chan <cpchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have found this hint, but in my case the rmv. disk is not even
detected. And the trouble is that I don't have the CD shipped with
this rmv. disk.

Thank you anyway.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Charles philip Chan
<cpchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Cristea Bogdan" <cristeab@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:

There are no new entries in /dev when connecting the rmv. disk. The
> model of the external Maxtor drive is OneTouch 4 Mini and it has a
> capacity of 160 GB.

OK, after researching the drive it sounds like the sleep mode power
management feature in some of the newer external Seagate and Maxter
drives which Linux have problems with. Try this in Windows:

,----
| For the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Family you need to double click the Maxtor
| Manager icon on your Desktop. Click on the Settings button. Click Adjust
| Power Setting Button. By default, an OneTouch 4 will spin down after 15
| minutes of inactivity and the OneTouch 4 Mini will spin down after five
| minutes of inactivity. Click on the time field to select an inactivity
| period. Set it to Never. Click Apply.
`----

and try mounting the drive in Linux again.

Charles

--
Bogdan Cristea

--