Re: [opensuse] 10.3 uses different java locations
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:04:08 +0000

Glenn Holmer wrote:
On Tuesday 11 March 2008 17:12:56 Frans de Boer wrote:

<snip>

whole /etc/alternatives system horrible. How would the average user
who needs to run a specific Java version find the above commands? As

Pardon... average users rarely know enough to play hunt the version :-)
(or at least not safely)... Not so average developers and power users do
and will....

What update-alternatives does offer is a way of keeping the update
versioning nicely hidden from such average users so they do not have to
play this particular game and possibly completely murder their java
configuration in the process....

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup