Re: [opensuse] qmail?
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:19:22 +0100
jdd sur free wrote:
Hudibras a écrit :

Is there an important reason to don't have qmail in openSUSE 10.3, did
I miss it's package?

No! There's any reason; evermore, it's very recommendable.

:-)

are yous sure? I found this: http://shearer.org/MTA_Comparison

Note: qmail is unmaintained: the author has not released since 1997 and does not permit others to make releases. It is also not Open Source Software, although the source is visible and usable within very tight restrictions.

That was AFAIK the main reason why Qmail was not available as a compiled binary package: the license only allowed the source code distribution. Though I think this restriction was released recently.

10 Years are a very long time for software, and there were many additions to the smtp and related protocols, so I recommend to think carefully about using such old software. Once you desire more recent features you have to start patching and probably won't stop patching. (^-°)

the main reason I looked at qmail is than
* I'm confused with postfix documentation (many bad doc, official one is jargon)

The official documentation is VERY accurate and complete. The problem is probably that Postfix like any advanced MTA is a complex piece of software.

* long time ago I had friends very found of qmail and I have to administer a qmail server (only partly, it's already configured) and it's very simple
* I don't know exim

That is so far the best argument to choose Qmail: support from capable sources. Though the postfix-users mailinglist is problably the best source of competent help you could possibly want. Most problems are solved the same day, even patches of reported problems from Wietse seldom take more than a few days.

google search don't give really answer

Uh, what was the question?

--
Sandy