Re: [opensuse] Missing drives
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:44:45 +0200
Sam Clemens wrote:
Doug McGarrett wrote:
On Tuesday 11 March 2008 21:56, Sam Clemens wrote:
Doug McGarrett wrote:
On Monday 10 March 2008 20:49, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2008/03/10 20:40 (GMT-0400) Doug McGarrett apparently typed:
On Monday 10 March 2008 20:11, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Monday 2008-03-10 at 18:28 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
I have a floppy
So do we all. What's the problem? :-?
Let's try again: I have a floppy, a CD reader, and a cd writer.
SuSE 9.3.
Surely there must be some reason why you're announcing this to a few
thousand people. Maybe you should share it too.
I don't know why the message is being truncated. I will attempt to
finish it here. The system refuses to see these drives. It certainly
saw the CD reader when I installed Linux. Help!
Removable media drives THEMSELVES do not "show up"

What "shows up" are filesystems on disks inserted into
these drives.

Hope that helps.

It doesn't really. A blank floppy or CD will not have a filesystem on it.

Correct.

However, a music CD will not have a "filesystem" on it, but it should be

Actually, it does.
How do you think the data on the music CD is organized?

recognised and playable, but it is not, here.

> If a disk drive is not
recognized by the system, how do you know what its drive number or name would be?

Generally, the device files (in /dev) are present regardless
of whether the any hardware is present or not.

Of course, if you only have one floppy, then it's FD0, but if you have various drives, then what?

It all depends on what the drives are?
are they IDE or SCSI... or SATA?
And is your kernel using IDE -> SCSI mapping?

--dm

Hi as root run hwinfo --cdrom and that will give your device names, then
make a subdirectory for each device under the media directory, if they
don't exist ie.mkdir /media/cdrom mkdir /media/cdwriter or whatever name
you wish. Then execute mount -vt auto /dev/whatever your devices names
are /media/whatever your directories are called.
If that doesn't work, post the output from mount.
Hope this helps
Dave