Re: [opensuse] 10.3 uses different java locations
  • From: Frans de Boer <frans@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 01:13:50 +0100
I really did that. But I wil try the given commands. OpenOffice does see
the _05 update. Now I try more...I'll keep you posted tomorrow.
Time to go to sleep....

KR,
Frans.

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 07:33 +0800, Joe Morris wrote:
On 03/12/2008 06:51 AM, Frans de Boer wrote:
I know Sun has RPM's, but how do I update 10.3 x64 so it does not point
towards 1.5 or 1.4.2 but to the latest JRE/JDK?

update-alternatives command. Try update-alternatives --help for more info
I can install the sun JRE-1.6_05 RPM, but some references need to be
updated too, otherwise they still point to the 1.5 JRE currently
installed. In the past you could just install the RPM and update only
two links in the /usr/java directory. Now, it seems that you have to
update a lot more.

Did you actually see that, or is that theory? I would think the
post-install scripts would update the links automatically to the newest
version. But if not, you can choose with the above command.
So, unless OpenSuSE has an update of which I am not aware, I do I
install the JDK/JRE update from Sun.

Look in Yast, assuming you have an update repository configured, i.e.
http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/openSUSE/update/10.3/rpm/x86_64/java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u4-0.1.x86_64.rpm

--
Joe Morris